Participants at EPIP Seattle's first Philanthropology(c) workshop asked our panelists what their advice was for emerging leaders in the field. Here's what they had to say!
- Get involved in a nonprofit organization and help them to write grants. It helps keep you critical of your own process, while you're going through theirs.
- Always look for ways to get people involved in your organization.
- Take every chance to raise your own profile and keep up with educational opportunities.
- Choose your battles wisely.
- Keep in mind the power differentials in philanthropy. Both grantseekers and grantmakers are nervous!
- Go beyond the role of a Program Officer. "Lead from the back"- think about other ways that we can be helpful, try to open gates for other people. What resources do you have (beyond funding) that you can offer people?